Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Strange Hotel

My parents and brothers are visiting and staying in a strange hotel outside of PJ, NY. I am thinking that they probably chose to stay outside of PJ because of my comparing it to DK, MD. I had mentioned the surrounding towns being a bit nicer.

The hotel is very high up. There is a creaky set of old, wooden stairs you have to climb in order to get to the room. Walking up the stairs, I notice that there is no railing on the tiny porch that leads to the door. How is this safe?! There is a flimsy bar that runs across the side, but it is too high up (about chin length for me) to prevent a fall. You'd have to grab onto it if you were to lose your balance, and swing your body back onto the porch. We are as high as the tree tops. This is not safe. I'm worried for my mom especially. I think of how she's fallen before.

Suddenly, my mom is shaking the bar aggressively. What is she thinking?! She stops, and reassures me that it is indeed sturdy.

Now, we're inside the 'hotel room'. It think it's actually a tree house. The walls are made with unfinished wood. The rooms are long and narrow, like the rooms in my grandmother's old house. The old fashioned, flowery style even reminds me of my grandmother.

Now, I'm outside. I catch a glimpse of what seems to be an alley. Am I in OC?

I'm following my cousin C around, outside somewhere. I'm worried that she will embarrass herself. I guess we're at a park because I'm watching her walk up to a tube slide. She gets stuck inside, but is able to free herself. She's laughing it off.

***

Since my partner and I are moving into our first apartment soon, to a new state, I've been thinking about where my parents will stay when they come up to visit. They were pretty attached to the quaint mountain town we live in currently in. We're moving to the city, which we be less of a 'break' from the city life they live. PJ is a city not to far from where I currently reside, which, when they came up this way to visit for the first time, I told them to avoid, hence the reference.

Dream Moods suggests an unstable railing to possibly represent a need for support/assistance in some area. Rooms can, supposedly, represent hidden aspects of the subconscious mind. This particular room being familiar, cozy, and quaint could be telling. Embracing what's familiar, perhaps, due to a fear of change? Dreaming of a tree-house can apparently be indicative of a desire to 'escape' harsh realities. The alley seen could possibly indicate a feeling of missed opportunity or a sense of limited options. Given what's been on my mind lately, it certainly makes sense.

I think about my cousin from time to time, given that we were once so close and that I rarely hear from her other than in scattered facebook updates now. I think of our childhood together, from time to time, and wonder if she's ever overcome the self-esteem issues she'd always struggled with.These memories could have inspired the slide scene.

No comments: